TRIP 29/07/12

--THE TRIP LIVE WITH VINTAGE VINYL FROM MILK ON 29/7/12, WITH JIM---More Playlists at www.jimz.biz The next session is on AUGUST 25th. BCNU-Hopefully/Jim

Well a bit of a landmark for me anyway, a session that was broadcast live on READING4U, courtesy of Chris Gales Departure Lounge Show, on the same station every Friday from 10.00 to Midnight. As usual I had an idea what I was going to play, and I tried not to encourage, for once, too many requests, as I wanted to play lots of TRIP classics. We had a few technical difficulties during the first hour or so, which did not really affect the music, it was just that the mike was not broadcasting, and the levels were a bit wobbly, so I had to keep saying “good evening”, until it came through. The recording of the evening is currently on Dropbox on my Facebook page-I’m Jiim B. Donovan, but we will see what we can do to make it more widely available!
I must mention the session the night after, where I got my chance to do my Melodies and Memories down here. This is a wonderful night created by Ralph Solly, with the next one Olly of the Disabalists, on August Bank Holiday Monday. Ralph , bless him, recorded a short segment of me, which is on YOU Tube, just input JIM B. DONOVAN. I have copies with me tonight of the tunes I played and I hope next month to have the audio available as a download and onto cd. Also another lovely night I was slightly involved in last week, another session from the Jamie Howell Trio. I also have copies of the tunes I played if you fancy a look. Well I will not bore you anymore, so on with the playlist

CYCLIC…chris’s opening theme tune.
VANGELIS…CHARIOTS OF FIRE, corny but the olympics were upon us!
CHOCOLATE MILK…ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS, cockup-already-a bit flustered by what was going on around me- I cued the wrong side!
MICHEL LEGRAND…PIECES OF DREAMS, another “nice” opener.
CHOCOLATE MILK…TIME MACHINE, got the right side!
GARBAGE…MILK, “our theme”
JON and VANGELIS…STATE OF INDEPENDENCE, been playing donna summers version a lot, so gave the original a go. The announcement here shows the technical problems at their best, on playback!
STYLISTICS…PEOPLE MAKE THE WORLD GO ‘ROUND, been reviving this 70’s classic a lot lately. but suffering on playback from “wobbles”, stick with it, it gets better!!!!!!!
DJ SHADOW/BLACKALICIOUS…SWAN LAKE, INSTRUMENTAL, with the “people” make the world go round sample.
FREDDIE HUBBARD…LITTLE SUNFLOWER, another mello summer classic.
SAMUEL JONATHAN JOHNSON…MY MUSIC, what it’s all about, and hopefully yours.
JAMES MASON…SWEET POWER YOUR EMBRACE, amazing classy 70’s disco a la roy ayers.
OWEN GRAY…MASH IT, from the earliest reggae lp ever, from 1960, hopefully to be used in the film which used MILK as a location.
O’DONEL LEVY…EVERYTHING I DO GONNA BE FUNKY, with THE bum sleeve.
GRANT GREEN…A DAY IN THE LIFE, much played 60’s bluenoter
LOUIS ARMSTRONG…THE CREATOR HAS A MASTER PLAN, from his last session, and “modern” for him.
MARCUS BELGRAVE…SPACE ODYSSEY, great funk jazz.
J. DILLA…EXTRACTS FROM DONUTS, never miss dropping jd.
GIL SCOTT HERON…THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED, or gil.
JAH SHAKA…IN THE BEGINNING, DUB, dubby one to recall the reggaethon a few weeks earlier at MILK.
THE DOORS…RIDERS ON THE STORM, played off knackered 7” to prove I was playing off vinyl, well that’s my story!
NEW YOURICAN SOUL…BLACK GOLD OF THE SUN, our most played.
Then six from Chris Gale…
KOOL AND THE GANG…SUMMER MADNESS
CAMP LO…LUCHINI-THIS IS IT
SWINGING PRINCIPLE…WOMANS LIBERATION
RARE PLEASURE…LET ME DOWN EASY
BANDA BLACK RIO…MARIA FUMACO
DUST…RECLOOSE
DE LA SOUL…A ROLLER SKATING JAM NAMED SATURDAY, our second most played, and always on when the bar is packed.
E.P.M.D….STRICTLY BUSINESS, with the shefiff sample
MR. SCRUFF…GET A MOVE ON, from my fave dj.
BLOOD SISTERS…RING MY BELL, then a few “leftovers” from the two reggae sessions a few weeks earlier.
TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS…FUNKY KINGSTON, classic “discoreggae”
TOMMY McCOOK…SKA JAM, with a nice old 60’s one to finish the segment.
GIORGIO MORODER…TEARS, shadow sampled.
CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA…CHANNEL 1 SUITE, for chris.
MILES DAVIS…ALL BLUES, for me and you know who?
THE DOORS…LIGHT MY FIRE, requested, and with a nice crowd cheer to prove we were live.
SHIRLEY BASSEY…LIGHT MY FIRE, already cue’d before the request for the doors!
ELVIS PRESLEY…EDGE OF REALITY, “interesting” elvis, for mrs. gale.
PEGGY LEE…FEVER, that’s hard to bear!
SARAH VAUGHAN…INNER CITY BLUES, superb cover of marvins tune.
SARAH VAUGHAN…SUMMERTIME, remixed.
BOBBY WOMACK…ACROSS 110 th STREET, now known from the jackie brown soundtrack.
STEVIE WONDER…SUPERSTITION, managed to fit a stevie in.
ROY DAVIS…GABRIEL mucho played housejazz classic.
BOOKER T….GREEN ONIONS, to pump up my memories and melodies, which were all from the 60’s the following night.
LEON HAYWARD…I WANNA DO SOMETHING FUNKY TO YOU, for ralph who promotes melodies and memories.
THE USUAL HOTCH POTCH OF FILM /TV TUNES, I was uncertain as weather to go for my “usual” ending, but time dictated I did, so I chopped ‘em up.
JACKSONS…NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE, I can’t.
BONNIE TYLER….TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART!!!-SORRY., I was not sure if we were “off air”, so on it went.
BUGS BUNNY…THAT’S ALL FOLKS……..

THE TRIP IS A “I’MINARADIODAZE” PRODUCTION, 2012.