TRIP 28/05/2011

THE TRIP AT THE AFROBA WITH VINTAGE VINYL-THE LAST SATURDAY EACH MONTH-PLAYLIST FOR SESSION 74 ON 28th MAY 2011.
MORE PLAYLISTS AND DETAILS AT www.jimz.biz
Also checkout the AFROBA page and my own page JIM B. DONOVAN on FACEBOOK.
Well they say there is a first time for anything, and at this session I morphed into a bedroom dj., a genre I have never been happy with. Basically either due to the football/the bank holiday/me !, the session was very poorly attended. There is little better than the buzz of jockeying discs/dealing with requests to suit the audience in a busy environment, but in this case neither applied as I may as well have been at home! This did not stop me however from getting on with it (I have seen 8 piece bands in the past still doing their normal superb show, even though hardly anyone was there). The evening therefore was very well mixed and mostly mellow, with no chance of building to any “highs”. However the recording is still with us, and apart from my complete lack of chat-a good thing !- sounds superb. It even gave me the opportunity to try a classic house mix, which was not quite perfect, but when I get it right at a future session one will be released as a download. In this respect the JAZZ ON A SUMMERS DAY mix that I undertook two nights earlier at TRACKS and GROOVES AT THE AFROBA came out ok and will be released as a download. Keep an eye on the afroba page on facebook for it or turn up for the next session for details. Do not be put off by the jazz word! It is not a four letter word!
The original intention for the night was to feature Curtis Mayfield, but the sudden death the day before of GIL SCOTT HERON, meant a change of plan, even though I had featured him at the February session.
So on with the playlist. The next session is on SATURDAY 24th JUNE with TRACKS AND GROOVES the Thursday following JUNE 30th. Also stick a note in your diary! for two specials in JULY on the 9th. and the 23 rd., as REGGAE STEADY GO comes to the afroba as part of the Outsidein Festival.
BCNU/Hopefully !-JIM

- GOOD EVENING MY NAME IS GIL SCOTT HERON-VOICE SAMPLE-
GIL SCOTT HERON…SPIRITS and ANGEL DUST, two great ones to start the evening as we pay tribute to the man, who died on my birthday!
RUNAWAYS…INTO/LEVITATION, a tune I often start the evening with, classicalhiphopper.
PSYCHONAUTS…TIME MACHINE PART 1, a surprise visit by mpd., meant I had to turntable a long track so I could have a chat.
KIDS STUFF RECORDS…IT’S OK TO SAY NO, bridging the two parts of coldcuts mowax psychonauts mix a superb childrens “instruction” tune.
PSYCHONAUTS…TIME MACHINE PART 2, the second long side to enable me to continue conversing.
BOZ SCAGGS…LOWDOWN, thanks to ralph for getting me the 12” version of this for my birthday.
LEROY HUTSON…ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, “modern” soul from the 70’s.
GIL SCOTT HERON…1980, much played at the afroba classic.
WINSTONS…COLOUR HIM FATHER, b side of the amen break “d and b” track.
PARRIS MITCHELL…THUNDERBALL, just got this great 60’s “full on drums” cover version.
CHOCOLATE MILK…TIME MACHINE, what we and mr. scruff travel in.
YELLO/SHIRLEY BASSEY…THE RHYTHM DIVINE, kirstens current fave.
ROSCOE…PEACEMAKER, have not dropped this early 70’s classic for ages.
SUPREMES…HIGH ENERGY, it is not !, it’s mello 70’s classy disco.
AHMAD JAMAL…TROUBLE MAN THEME, big jazzy piano brasser.
GIL SCOTT HERON…A LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND, a warning for me!
SARAH VAUGHAN…SUMMERTIME, ufo remix for the verve remixed project.
NINA SIMONE…FEELIN’ GOOD, joe claussel remix for the same project.
ASTRID GILBERTO…WHO NEEDS FOREVER, same project, thievery corp. remix.
ROY AYERS…REACHING FOR THE HIGHEST PLEASURE, gp released “demo”.
GROVER WASHINGTON…SUMMER SONG, and the “mellowness” continues.
GIL SCOTT HERON…RACETRACK IN FRANCE, the tribute continues.
AIRTO/FLORA/SIVUCA…BRANCHES OF THE ROSE TREE, played for those attending that “connected” me to sivucca , a few years ago.
ALICE COLTRANE…GOVINDA JAI JAI, one from the jazz download to come.
SERGIO MENDES…I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER, “easi”.
LEWIS TAYLOR…LOVELIGHT, mucho loved by the mighty ac.
GIL SCOTT HERON…TOMORROWS ‘TRANE, one giant pays tribute to another.
NU YORICAN SOUL/Q-TIP…BLACK GOLD OF THE SUN, the classic gets hophipped.
KELIS…SUSPENDED, feels like I am?
DIAMOND/CRU...HIATUS REMIX, superb one that mpd tipped me on.
ERIC TRUFFAZ…WET IN PARIS, another one featured in the jazzonasummersday download to come.
EMINEM…STAN, very little hophip tonight so………
GIL SCOTT HERON…PEACE GO WITH YOU BROTHER, and at peace he is.
ISAAC HAYES…THAT LOVING FEELING, heavy breathing tastic.
BT EXPRESS…PEACEPIPE, an “up” one at last!, much featured by andy scruff recently.
KID CREOLE…ME NO POP I, and another from andys playlist.
ONENESS OF JUJU, plus one more.
ZAPP…MORE BOUNCE TO THE OUNCE, and a final one.
MARSHALL JEFFERSON…OPEN OUR EYES, first classic houser.
RHYTHIM IS RHYTHIM…STRINGS OF LIFE, the second to practice my crap mixing.
3MB/JUAN ATKINS…JAZZ IS THE TEACHER, no issue there !
FRANKIE KNUCKLES…MY LOVE, another that will be on the downloaded mix when I get it right.
DANCING FLUTES/MARSHALL JEFFERSON…DO THE DO, if only I could ?
JOE SMOOTH…PROMISED LAND, final one for now from the classic house mix.
MASTERS AT WORK…MAW THEME, from their unreleased project.
ORSON WELLES…I KNOW WHAT IT IS TO BE YOUNG, (but you do not know what it is to be old), one for me !
KATHY KIRBY…THEME FROM ADAM ADAMANT, the late kk’s 60’s tv theme.
JOHN BARRY…CHRISTELLA, just love this, would have fitted into dolly dolly’s london mix easily.
RAY CATHODE…WALTZ IN ORBIT, as would this early 60’s bbc radiophonic workshop tune.
GIL SCOTT HERON…THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED/THE BOTTLE/RE-RON/LADY DAY AND JOHN COLTRANE, the final four to make up the eleven song tribute to the man.
The trip is a “YOUHADBETTERBEHERENEXTMONTHORELSE!” production, 2011.